Enterprise Resource Planning and Warehouse Management System are the backbone systems to any distribution center, wholesale, supply chain or FMCG business. Without them, these businesses wouldn’t be able to function.
What is ERP software?
Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) is a business management software that integrates key areas and automates business processes across all departments of an organization like purchases, sales, marketing, human resources, services, inventory, financial management, etc., and it improves the flow of information across the organization. ERP has some functionality to handle warehouse management processes which has less complexity.
What is WMS software?
A warehouse management system (WMS) is a software application, designed to support warehouse or distribution center management and staff. These applications can manage the various operations, tasks and activities of moderate to complex warehouse or distribution centers (DCs).
Why do we need Warehouse Management Systems over an ERP?
All Warehouses are not same and in the same way all Warehouses Management Systems are not same. An ERP supports to a warehouse to an extent, if the warehouse process are less complex then we need to go with a specialized WMS to a warehouse. We can classify warehouse into five different levels as below:
Level1 –Store Room
Level 2 –Rudimentary Locator
Level 3 –Advanced Locator
Level 4 –Intelligent
Level 5 -Automated
Level 1 – Store Room:
- Minimal usage of Technology
- Less Complexity
- Inventory is typically stored in single location and locations are predefined
- Operations are performed manually
Level 2 – Rudimentary Locator
- Usage technology for tracking pallets
- Multi location inventory
- Put away, receiving and minimal put way options
- Operations are performed manually
Level 3 – Advanced Locator
- Increasing warehouse Complexity
- Receiving , put away, packing shipping and inventory managed options
- Support of RF devices
- Focus on improving warehouse performance
Level 4 – Intelligent
- More people driven process both in operations and back office roles
- Operations are typically more complex and sophisticated with higher volumes.
- Requires robust decision support to optimize operations
- Advance level of picking, replenishment.
Level 5 – Automated
- Highly automated warehouses operations
- Design are driven by engineering firms
- Specialized systems are required.
What can we expect from advanced and specialized WMS?
- Mobile Productivity
- License Plate Management
- Multi Usage Platform
- Real Time Information
- Advanced Receiving
- Event Management
- Advanced Put-away Optimization
- Advanced Pick and Pack
- Advanced Shipping
fruiSCE™ Warehouse Management is comprehensive solution to address the key warehousing challenges through advanced technology enablers and covers all end to end business processes seamlessly through paperless system. fruiSCE™ WMS is empowered with Artificial Intelligence algorithms and integrations with IoT devices and is suitable for all kind of warehouse order fulfilment operations which include retail, manufacturing, 3PL, e-commerce, and distribution center. The solution covers mobile productivity (voice & scan), license plate management, event management, real time analytics, and operational metrics.
Data Labs India is a digital transformation company helps organizations to achieve supply chain excellence through robust supply chain business processes and cutting edge technologies; empowered by AI and IoT. Our highly innovative solutions and products for end-to-end supply chain planning and operations make our clients truly competitive.