License plating is a barcode reader system that groups together any set of materials or products and marks it with a unique number i.e., License Plate Number (LPN). Most of the warehouses continue to use outdated inventory management processes for a large amount of material handling.
A license plate number is a barcode reader system or RFID system that consolidates the items as part of the shipment and assigns a unique number. The LPN number can be assigned to the whole shipment or partial shipment depending on how one wants to receive or deliver the products. LPN could be a barcode connected to a particular shipment or an RFID tag containing an LPN number.
License Plating will help to do the warehouse management process better, faster, and cheaper. LPN barcodes can be printed or pre-printed. Pre-printed barcodes are better as they will be easy to manage, the durability of barcodes, and no need to worry about number duplication. Many barcode label printing companies provide pre-printed barcode labels.
The LPN process can be used in combination with regular barcoding applications and RFID solutions.
The data structure associated with LPN Label: For one LPN label the following data can be assigned.
- Order data
- Customer Information
- Supplier Information
- Unit of Measure
- Packing Units
- Part Numbers
- Pick List Number
- Packing Slip Number
- Shipment Number
- Lot Number
- Date of Manufacture
- Date of Expiry
- Or any other information
- The RFID tag contains an LPN number and this is a very important functionality of RFID application in WMS
- LPN number can be assigned to RFID tag by Label printing solution
- Once the RFID is read the LPN number is identified and API is triggered for the WMS system to process a particular operation.
- The LPN can be used to generate GRN automatically. This will avoid the manual data inputs for GRN.
- ASN usually contains LPN numbers so that when the material is received it can be scanned easily. The suppliers send LPN numbers as part of ASN. This is attached to the particular incoming GRN and can be scanned easily to complete the GRN process.
- Based on the LPN number the GRN takes place and putaway can be done as usual with barcodes or RFID.
- The LPN can be used as pre-printed labels. This needs to be assigned to the RFID.
- For dispatches, the LPN is attached to the shipment after picking. Connect all items to LPN and then they can be scanned to complete the delivery process.
- The LPN can be communicated to the customer for onward receiving.
Application of LPN for Inbound process:
- Supplier sends ASN which includes LPN number. The LPN number is attached to all shipment items with other information.
- If ASN is not sent by the Supplier, the LPN number has to be assigned to RFID at the gate in the process. LPN also can be a barcode and it can be scanned using a barcode reader.
- On arrival of a shipment, scan LPN number and GRN will take place automatically
- Putaway can be generated
- Regular putaway activity can be performed through barcodes
- Scan location & scan item and update quantity manually, then save. Continue for all line items.
- In general, for the Goods receipt part, the LPN is used with an RFID tag or a barcode label. The putaway can be done usually through barcodes as the material will be stored in different locations which will have barcodes for locations and items.
Application of LPN for the Outbound process:
- Prepare the pick list and assign the LPN number to the pick list
- Complete the shipment and paste the LPN number on the pallets/boxes etc
- LPN number can be written to RFID through Label printer solutions
- While delivery, scan the LPN number and the delivery takes place in the system.
- Send ASN to the customer which includes the LPN number.
- The customer needs to scan the LPN at his site to record the GRN.
The LPN Process can be used for internal transfers between the plant or between different warehouse movements.
Benefits of LPN Label Process:
- Faster goods receiving process with reduced human error
- Tracking of containers through the warehouse and maximizing space utilization
- Monitoring the shipment receipts and deliveries easily through proper supervision
- Help optimize the warehouse process of picking and putaway.
- Track Lot numbers, serial numbers, and weights for faster movement of pallets
- Using pre-printed with different colors can help proper identification of incoming and outgoing shipments and faster movements.
fruiSCE® Warehouse Management helps you to achieve world-class warehouse operations which include optimized putaway and picking processes combined with robust integration between different systems with process mining capabilities: a unique combination of processes, systems, technology, and commitment.
For more information about the solution, or a meeting with our experienced Subject Matter Expert, please reach out to [email protected] We would be glad to demonstrate the solution and its capabilities at your convenience.